• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Royal Caribbean to Have the Largest Ship to Alaska in 2016

Rate this topic

Jan115

A new era of giant cruise ships is about to arrive in Alaska.

Royal Caribbean has announced plans to send the 137,308-ton Explorer of the Seas to the 49th State in 2016 -- the first time a ship of its size has been deployed to the destination.

The 15-deck-high, 1,020-foot-long vessel will sail seven-night, round-trip voyages to Alaska from Seattle, Wash., taking the place of the 90,090-ton Jewel of the Seas.

One of five ships in Royal Caribbean's Voyager class series, Explorer can hold up to 3,840 passengers at maximum occupancy -- hundreds more than the next largest cruise vessel in Alaska. It carries a crew of nearly 1,200.

While mega-size cruise ships as big as 225,000 tons have appeared in the Caribbean and Europe in recent years, nearly all of the cruise vessels operating in Alaska still measure under 100,000 tons. The current size leader in the state is Celebrity Cruises' 121,878-ton Celebrity Solstice.

Chock full of on-board activities, Explorer of the Seas is a mega-resort-at-sea the likes of which Alaska has never seen. Unveiled in 1999, it features one of Royal Caribbean's signature Royal Promenades lined with shops, bars and eateries -- a concept that has never before made its way to Alaska. It also boasts an ice skating rink (also a first for an Alaska-based cruise ship) as well as 10 pools and whirlpools, a miniature golf course and a rock climbing wall.

Explorer of the Seas will join Royal Caribbean's 90,090-ton Radiance of the Seas in Alaska. Radiance sails alternating, seven-night northbound and southbound Alaska cruises between Vancouver, B.C., and Seward, Alaska.

The deployment of Explorer will increase Royal Caribbean's capacity in Alaska by more than 12% -- a significant bet on growing demand for Alaska trips. The announcement comes even as Alaska leader Princess cuts back on cruise departures to Alaska. Princess announced earlier this month that it would have just six ships in Alaska, down from seven this year.

Source: Gene Sloan (USA Today, March 17, 2015, "Era of Monster Cruise Ships Arrives in Alaska”)

Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more.

Please visit CruiseCrazies.com for more cruise news & articles.

Featured photo credit: Royal Caribbean

Click here to view the article

• 2 weeks later...

We were on one of her sister ships, the Adventure and I agree its a very cool ship. While I do know that cruises bring in a lot of $$ to the local economy I always remember what a local told me. He said they like it more when the cruise season is over so things are nice and quiet again. I suppose if you choose to live in Alaska perhaps by nature you like it that way.

And I can imagine that the locals aren't happy to hear that the ships coming to Alaska are getting bigger and bigger. Great for the economy, to be sure, but at the same time increasing noise and congestion. Fortunately, Alaska is a big state encompassing a huge area, and the locals probably know where to go to escape the tourists.

• 1 month later...

And Royal and Celebrity still have no permits for Glacier Bay, which is why I don't normally recommend them foe Alaska. Great land portion of their cruise tours, though.