• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Need For an Economy Cruise Line?

Rate this topic

Basically I am thinking less incidentials, less taxes and port fees, competitive parking fees, at lesser known ports, that lower the over all price of the cruise. I would hope the cruise line would not attempt to make money on liquor, or excessive tips, and not have the need for speciality restaurants. Single passengers should not need to pay for a ghost passenger that is not there, and the general cruise fare should be affordable to the working class person. There needs to be honesty in advertising, as well. Menus could be more basic and more emphasis on buffet.

I would like to know what others think and not suggest the parameters myself . Maybe there is no need for `economy` in cruising, (the price may be in the high airfares), but I do see a lot of folks where I live that would like to go on a cruise but think it is too pricey for them,

When we first started cruising, we were amazed as to what we got for our dollar. Cruising, to us, is still an affordable vacation when you consider what is "all included". With that being said, I also agree that there needs to be a more affordable line/avenue of cruising. Food costs are rising and will continue to rise. We love the fact that we get upscale meals at a decent price. But we also see a lot of waste and that alone has to increase the cost of factor.

I most recently stayed at a "resort hotel" in Seattle. On the bed was a note about being green and conservative. Pretty typical of the note that you see hanging in the bathrooms on must cruise ships. What made this note stand out was the dollar factor that they tracked. I now wish I had kept it. But it said something like, "we saved xx$$ in water 2014 and xxgallons" Thank you to our guests who conserved by not having towels and/or linens changed daily. They then offered a coupon for money off in the restaurant for each day that you conserved.

What did I do? I wrote a note every day on my bed that said, "please conserve by not changing my linens and please donate the money back to the resort or to a charity" I'm not sure what they did with the coupon for money off, but it didn't matter to me.

I know that cruiselines have to make money and I realize that the majority of money is made on alcohol, store purchase, pictures, etc. But I also agree that if prices did drop, more people would be able to take advantage of what we have already figured out. You get a great bang for your buck when you cruise.

Great question, Harold!

It's a great concept, but I doubt we'll see a true economy cruise like that you mention from any port - whether east, west or gulf coast, and port fees and taxes aren't likely to change. However, there are certainly economic ways to save on existing cruises, as you know, such as choosing a shoulder season, last minute deals, repositioning cruises, choosing older and smaller ships, foregoing the extra-fee restaurants, beverage packages, and other optional on-board services. Gratuities are set by the cruise line, but anyone who wants to adjust them lower can certainly do that. Cruisers can save on pricey ship excursions by pre-planning do-it-yourself tours. Reduced single rates are out there - you just need to know where and when to look.

I really believe there is a cruise for every budget, even for those who think they could never possibly afford one.

Basically I am thinking less incidentials, less taxes and port fees, competitive parking fees, at lesser known ports, that lower the over all price of the cruise. I would hope the cruise line would not attempt to make money on liquor, or excessive tips, and not have the need for speciality restaurants. Single passengers should not need to pay for a ghost passenger that is not there, and the general cruise fare should be affordable to the working class person. There needs to be honesty in advertising, as well. Menus could be more basic and more emphasis on buffet.

I would like to know what others think and not suggest the parameters myself . Maybe there is no need for `economy` in cruising, (the price may be in the high airfares), but I do see a lot of folks where I live that would like to go on a cruise but think it is too pricey for them,

Interesting topic HW. I do wonder how such an effort would happen and who would launch it. Most cruise lines are basically under a few umbrellas with Carnival operating by far the most. I doubt if any of them want to launch a new line with such a vastly different identity. That would detract from the image they spend so much on to cultivate.

I suppose bottom shelf booze could be used to cut costs and daily fees which are moderate IMHO also figure in to a low cost so cut that and fares go up. You can also choose to not pay the gratuities but that stiffs the crew who share in the tip pool. Actually that's why it was started.

Speciality restaurants are optional so there is no cost to you unless you use them. I would imagine there is some cost to having higher priced food items for them so some money could be sav d but not much. You could save by limiting the menu but again if you choose an inside cabin you pay little for that same menu.

NCL has some ships with single cabins which I bet other cruise lines will follow.

I don't know much about taxes and port fees though I imagine smaller ports do charge less thus saving money.

For the the bottom line is is there a market for all this. I think probably not as for me cruising is still a great value so I don't see a niche for this.

There are lower cost cruise lines like Celebration and Louis Cruise lines to name two off the top of my head but the latter is based in Greece so there goes you budget getting there. You can also try freighter cruising but that is very basic.

Now that I think of it todays cruise industry started as lower cost alternative to cruising which was once considered for the wealthy. Carnival came into being in the 70's to offer lower cost cruise vacations so the masses could experience a cruise. Of course of the decades much has been cut which made cruising so special years ago but yet IMHO you still get the best bang for your buck on a cruise.

Great question, Harold!

It's a great concept, but I doubt we'll see a true economy cruise like that you mention from any port - whether east, west or gulf coast, and port fees and taxes aren't likely to change. However, there are certainly economic ways to save on existing cruises, as you know, such as choosing a shoulder season, last minute deals, repositioning cruises, choosing older and smaller ships, foregoing the extra-fee restaurants, beverage packages, and other optional on-board services. Gratuities are set by the cruise line, but anyone who wants to adjust them lower can certainly do that. Cruisers can save on pricey ship excursions by pre-planning do-it-yourself tours. Reduced single rates are out there - you just need to know where and when to look.

I really believe there is a cruise for every budget, even for those who think they could never possibly afford one.

This is correct I think. There are all sorts of deals and ways to cut costs out there. its like buying a car. Cut the options and go basic.

Thank you so much jacketwatch, DebbieandJerry, and sunluva7 :tongue: . I think you brought up some very good questions; most concerning is who would start up such an operation, seeing that we already have numerous cruise lines, already. However, cruising continues to grow at a fast clip.

Some areas seem to be in the dark about the importance of water travel, when they have so much coastline, such as North Carolina. Virhginia had built a new terminal, but did not attract any other cruise line except Carnival (for embarkations), very likey for the lack of impetus from officals. One reason could have been the higher price of cruises from Norfolk. As you mention, jacketwatch, most cruise companies are under a few umbrellas. NCL has single cabins, but they can be as pricey as the regular double cabin.

Larger ships just can`t get into the smaller ports, but in the past there were cruise lines that did cater to a more egalitarian public.

There seems to be quite a few ships on the market for sale. I have been waiting to see what Sterling cruise line will do, and if they will begin their cruises, and also if Celebration (Paradise) will have longer cruises, or get another ship. Palm beach could grow. Again, to me the big question is `who`, and whoever would have to have a lot of start-up capital and a real interest in sailing and water travel.

HW

Thank you so much jacketwatch, DebbieandJerry, and sunluva7 :tongue: . I think you brought up some very good questions; most concerning is who would start up such an operation, seeing that we already have numerous cruise lines, already. However, cruising continues to grow at a fast clip.

Some areas seem to be in the dark about the importance of water travel, when they have so much coastline, such as North Carolina. Virhginia had built a new terminal, but did not attract any other cruise line except Carnival (for embarkations), very likey for the lack of impetus from officals. One reason could have been the higher price of cruises from Norfolk. As you mention, jacketwatch, most cruise companies are under a few umbrellas. NCL has single cabins, but they can be as pricey as the regular double cabin.

Larger ships just can`t get into the smaller ports, but in the past there were cruise lines that did cater to a more egalitarian public.

There seems to be quite a few ships on the market for sale. I have been waiting to see what Sterling cruise line will do, and if they will begin their cruises, and also if Celebration (Paradise) will have longer cruises, or get another ship. Palm beach could grow. Again, to me the big question is `who`, and whoever would have to have a lot of start-up capital and a real interest in sailing and water travel.

HW

I heard of a cruise line some yrs. ago that was very basic, even not providing cabin service or minimal service. Maybe someday HW we will see your idea realized. Great topic for discussion.