• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

dental help

Rate this topic

haroldwilliams

I imagine if one lost a tooth or had a dental emergency, a dentist would come in real handy! Once upon a time, HAL had dentists aboard their ships, but no longer, and I don't know of any ships that have them nowadays. Maybe they figure it's not worth the expense or there's not enough demand. A doctor on board will prescribe pain meds and point the patient in the direction of a dentist in the next port. By the way, you can by dental repair kits at places like Wal-Mart, for things like broken teeth or lost crowns. Something to pack on your next cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

I don`t know anyone specifically for that job, but it could be of interest to a semi - retired dentist, or a new dental school graduate who had not yet established a practice. Some larger ships have over 1500 crew, and I have seen several elderly persons who have had dental problems on board ship. A doctor may be able to help in emergercies, but I was thinking in terms of very long cruises, or in cruising areas where there were no dentists on land. -- just a thought --.

Edited by haroldwilliams