• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Adonia 1st US ship to pull into Havana since God knows when

Rate this topic

This is a very unique and interesting kind of cruising, and I am looking forward to reading some reviews. Any Crazies planning on booking the Fathom to Cuba?

Not me, not until the prices go down. However what an experience it must have been to be the 1st US passengers to be on that ship. Ill bet the greetings and over all feelings will last a lifetime.

Some colleagues just returned and had a great time. They reported a nice blend of relaxation and social impact activities and were warmly welcomed by the Cuban people. The big difference between this cruise and your average cruise is that on sea days, instead of things like bingo and trivia, there are educational classes to be used in the community outreach on shore. They reported good food, entertainment was so/so, and even though there are no programs for kids, there were 15 on board. I'm hearing that Fathom has proven to be of interest to church and community groups for the volunteerism.

Lets see how this unfolds as more ships will follow. I wonder how long it will take for Havana to become more like a regular port stop on the Caribbean route.

I also see that the Fathom is one of the old ships from the Renaissance line and there are many of them around. We were once on the Tahitian, now Ocean Princess. Its too small for our taste however. Its more prone to rocking vs. the goliath ships to there today.

Larry - my husband is with you on this one. I LOVED Ocean Princess - him, though - not too much. You're right about the rocking and rolling, though, on those R-ships. We had a couple of days of rough seas in the Channel on our Ireland/Scotland cruise, and had the ship mostly to ourselves because everyone else was sick in their cabins - LOL!

As for Cuba and more cruise ships, I think it's going to take some time. Right now, Havana can only handle one mid-size ship at a time, but with the popularity of the western Caribbean, I can see Cuba added to the itinerary of more cruises in the foreseeable future, with maybe even a ship in port every day of the week. Time will tell. Right now, I think Cuba is loving all the positive attention it's getting from this type of cruise ship devoting all its time to the people and culture of Cuba.