• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Cruise Review - New York to Bermuda on Norwegian Gem

Rate this topic

Jan115

Jan - I enjoyed your review and glad you made the best of this cruise. It sounds like you did have a good time despite some cutbacks. Sadly with each passing cruise we take on any line the cut backs are more and more noticeable.

Thanks, MaryLou. Mainstream cruising has been gradually changing, and not everything for the better. As long as there is a real promenade deck on the ship, I'm good - a feature I forgot to mention in my long-winded review. I also noticed that I mistakenly wrote Bermuda in the title - I must have been thinking how much nicer Hamilton is than Nassau when I wrote it.

Great review, Jan! We have never been to NYC - and admit it seems a bit intimidating, so thanks for the restaurant suggestions. Curious - how did your cabin size/layout, etc. compare to other lines...and was the stateroom service good? Do they provide ice buckets or "on request"? Bahama Art and Handicraft - I will remember it! We seek out those kinds of places everywhere we go and I treasure my chosen souvenirs (or jewelry) from them! Thanks!

Andi - if you avoid Times Square, you'll find NYC to be no more intimidating that Chicago. Each borough has its own personality. Times Square is loud and brassy, while the upper west side - where we were - is much quieter. The cabin layout was fine, pretty much like most standard balcony cabins. I do like the fact that every balcony cabin has a small sofa - which is something that's missing from the Grand Class balcony cabins on Princess - my one real pet peeve about Princess. I like the extra seating area. Our steward was great, and, yes, he automatically filled the ice buckets every morning without having to ask. The bathroom set up was just like that on the Dawn last year - the shower and toilet areas are separated from the sink area in the middle - a nice idea, and it does make the shower roomier than most. The toilet area, though, is pretty darn cramped - especially for a person of considerable size - but we made it work.