• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Unforgettable characters you met while cruising,

Rate this topic

One of the best parts of taking a cruise is meeting people from all over. We tend to meet people, and hangout with them the entire cruise. Our last cruise, our favorite person we met had to be Carlos from Cozumel Mexico. We took a Western Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean, and ended up booking a Cozumel excursion away from the cruise line. We were a little nervous, but the best decision we ever made. We found a Custom private Cozumel jeep tour, which was pretty much an all-inclusive shore excursion. Thats where we met our guide Carlos, who was charismatic, fun and really entertaining guide. But he was such a down to earth guy, who always wore a smile on his face. I really wish I was half as genuinely nice and happy as he was. But I guess I would be to, if I got to meet different people from all around the world everyday and lived in paradise. We ended up making a best friend at the end of the day. We found the family tour operation on TripAdvisor, and read some of their reviews and had to do the tour in Cozumel for ourselves. 

Carlos met us and had the biggest smile youve ever seen. He gave us a hug and said "Lets go have an amazing day". It was completely different than what we were use to. We did a jeep tour the year before, but it was with the cruise line, and it was a caravan tour with 30 other people and 2 guides. I dont think they said one word to our family. Carlos took us over to our private jeep, and asked us if we wanted to drive or relax and allow him to chauffeur us. Our son just turned 16, and was eager to drive so we allowed him. They include a cooler of beer and water in the jeep, so we cracked a beer open and we were off. Carlos was like family the entire day. He would crack jokes, and made sure he took photos of us at the perfect spots with our cellphones. Kids loved the snorkeling, as Carlos would dive down and point out all of the sea creatures. At the end of the day, he even helped us negotiate for discounts on Cozumel souvenirs. The guy gave Carlos commission for us buying stuff at the store, and he gave it right back to us. We of course didnt take it, but how honorable is that. I guess the rule is that the stores have to give the guides money. But he didn't even recommend a shop, we just walked around down town and wondered in a store. 

At the end of the day we tried to give him a tip, and he wouldnt take it. My kids were chasing him around trying to give it to him. Finally, my husband got to put it in his bag when he wasnt looking. Carlos ended up emailing us, and thanking us for the tip and said it wasn't necessary, but he did appreciate it. I have honestly never met such an amazing, and down to Earth person like Carlos, and I wish everyone we meet on our tours are half as decent as he was. He really inspired our entire family. If you ever wanted to take a tour with Carlos, he works with Cozumel Cruise Excursions .NET

So the best character we have met on our cruise, was Carlos from Cozumel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Carol...so sorry that I'm just seeing and answering this post.  Carlos sure sounds like a wonderful guy, and I'm so happy that you had such a wonderful time with him.  Not sure we will be getting back to Mexico, but if we ever do we would sure look him up.