• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

So, Who Still Dresses Up for Formal Night?

Rate this topic

Jan115

Since having cruised Norwegian "Freestyle" quite a bit in the past couple of years, I've started leaving the dress-up duds at home when I cruise. My husband and I cruised on Princess last week, and my husband left his sport coat at home. So we thought we'd see if we could still gain entry to the dining room anyway. Were we denied entry because my husband had no tie and jacket? Nope! Was he the only one without a jacket? Nope! I'm not offering any apology for shirking the rules, but rather Just making a point showing that cruise lines are less about enforcing formal dress these days. 

Which brings me to the question: Do you still take part in formal nights on board? If so, what's your style of attire?

Jan...sorry that David was not allowed in the dining room without a sport coat.  That does sound more like the old days on formal night.  We haven't cruised for a few years now, but in the past it was very formal...and it did depend on the ship.  On Celebrity we took a couple of cruises that were 15 night, and the clothes I had to bring for formal night, semi formal night, and others did get to be a little too much to carry...that was back in 2004.  It was fun to dress up, but after our first time bringing all those clothes, we went and bought new luggage that all had their nice wheels on to pull around...and we could stack them all up...for my dear hubby to haul away. Then all I had to pull was my carry on and a large purse that I put on top of my carry on.  Our last cruise was on Carnival...they have always been a little bit lighter on the dress up, but they did have a formal night back a few years, the last time on it was just a dress-up night...not called formal night. 

My last couple of cruises I just wore some silky black pants and something like a sequined or fancy top with the pants.  With the change in having to pay extra for the extra weight it was a much better way to dress up also.  I used to bring gowns and fancy shoes and all.  Now I just bring a couple pairs of the fancy pants and tops, and one pair of black dress shoes,  and it's much easier to carry, and no worries about being charged extra.  Today, being a senior, I'm not into dressing up that much. but would still wear the silky, dressy, pants and fancy tops...they are comfy and easy to bring, and do look good.  Would always want to look good on a dress up evening. But still want to be comfy.

I now look back on all the things I used to bring, and think I must have been crazy...LOL  Brought dress shoes to match around three gowns, and many different dressy purses and then all the jewelry.  Now I never bring expensive jewelry or a bunch of shoes or purses...no jewelry that is special to me either...use a lot of fancy jewelry that might look like diamonds, etc...but are not.  Only bring things that will go with most everything...so much easier to travel that way...and hubby is not able, or wanting, to haul all that stuff anymore either...LOL

Edited by Shari2

3 hours ago, Shari2 said:

Jan...sorry that David was not allowed in the dining room without a sport coat.  That does sound more like the old days on formal night.  We haven't cruised for a few years now, but in the past it was very formal...and it did depend on the ship.  On Celebrity we took a couple of cruises that were 15 night, and the clothes I had to bring for formal night, semi formal night, and others did get to be a little too much to carry...that was back in 2004.  It was fun to dress up, but after our first time bringing all those clothes, we went and bought new luggage that all had their nice wheels on to pull around...and we could stack them all up...for my dear hubby to haul away. Then all I had to pull was my carry on and a large purse that I put on top of my carry on.  Our last cruise was on Carnival...they have always been a little bit lighter on the dress up, but they did have a formal night back a few years, the last time on it was just a dress-up night...not called formal night. 

My last couple of cruises I just wore some silky black pants and something like a sequined or fancy top with the pants.  With the change in having to pay extra for the extra weight it was a much better way to dress up also.  I used to bring gowns and fancy shoes and all.  Now I just bring a couple pairs of the fancy pants and tops, and one pair of black dress shoes,  and it's much easier to carry, and no worries about being charged extra.  Today, being a senior, I'm not into dressing up that much. but would still wear the silky, dressy, pants and fancy tops...they are comfy and easy to bring, and do look good.  Would always want to look good on a dress up evening. But still want to be comfy.

I now look back on all the things I used to bring, and think I must have been crazy...LOL  Brought dress shoes to match around three gowns, and many different dressy purses and then all the jewelry.  Now I never bring expensive jewelry or a bunch of shoes or purses...no jewelry that is special to me either...use a lot of fancy jewelry that might look like diamonds, etc...but are not.  Only bring things that will go with most everything...so much easier to travel that way...and hubby is not able, or wanting, to haul all that stuff anymore either...LOL

Actually, he WAS allowed in the dining room without his sport coat.? Just goes to show how the definition of "dress up night" has changed over the years, right Shari?

• 2 weeks later...