• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Cruise Review: Epic - A Second Look

Rate this topic

Jan115

really enjoyed your detailed report... I really like the Epic ... I agree the bathroom situation wasn't so bad - and actually worked out good - one person could shower and the bathroom was still available  ?  the pools were very small ... but the bars were plentiful.  

Jan...can't believe you have your review out already.  Just saw this, and I will come back and read it soon.  It's very long, and I want to take time to really enjoy it.  Have a couple other things to finish up tonight.  Can't wait to come back and read it.

Yes, Shari - I am rather long-winded on paper, aren't I!? My reviews are meant to enjoy with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, so you can savor every detail.? I write notes as I travel, a little each day, so all I have to do is make a few edits, and it's ready to go when I get home. Now, if I could only do the same with my photos, which are still on the camera ....

Jan...I love the long reviews, especially yours.  So well done, and a lot of great information.  I was surprised that you needed to make reservations for the shows on the ship.  Since I haven't been able to cruise for a few years... just wondering...is it this way now on all, or most, of the ships?  Do they seat you then, or can you still sit wherever you would like? 

Thanks for this great review, and so glad you had a wonderful cruise.  Sorry about the transport strike in Rome, but great that you had already been there before.  I really wish I had, at least, written some notes on all of my cruises.  It's a great way to review and also for ourselves, remember everything on every ship.  If I should want to write reviews on some of my older days in cruising, I would only be able to remember some things, as some of us get older, our memories don't seem to keep up...LOL  Loved the photos, and hope to see more when you have them ready.  Thanks so much...loved it. 

A Mediterranean cruise has always been my no.2 on my list of cruises to do.  Hawaii was the first, but, I maybe should have done the Med cruise first since I know it would be hard for me now to walk the hills and steps in Europe.  I am blessed by all I have done and seen, and now so happy to follow others on their adventures.  It seemed like I was there also.  Thanks again

Edited by Shari2

Shari - I’m glad you could come along on my adventure, at least in spirit. That’s one of my goals when I blog, to make people think they are there.

Pre-reserving shows and activities has become pretty common these days, mostly on the NCL and RCI mega ships. On NCL it seems to contradict the “freestyle”, theme, but on Epic, Breakaway, Escape, Bliss, and so on, a lot of guests are pre reserving everything they can, whether from home or once on board. Reservations are coded into your key card, and if you don’t have a reservation, you will be told to stand in the standby line. The smaller ships, like the Dawn that I’ll be sailing in August, don’t have the option of pre reserving.

Seating is open, even with a reservation. At Cirque, you’re ushered to a seat.

Thanks Jan...you do really make us feel like we're there.  Thanks for the information on the reserving seats.  I really didn't know that.  Thought that it may be like that when you pay for a special show on ships that have them.  Have to tell Marc about this.  Interesting.

Great review, Jan!  Ed and I have been married 44 years but I still don't think I would like the pod setup of this ship....just some things in a bathroom should not be seen by anyone else, lol!  I have heard that the Breakaway is a wonderful NCL ship that everyone seems to love, so if I were to try NCL it probably would be that ship or one of the older, smaller ships.  I like all of the details in your review, so don't try to shorten them up - keep 'em coming!

I was in a minisuite on a 2-day cruise to nowhere a couple of years ago on the Breakaway. I wish I could remember more about it, but it was my birthday, we were partying, and it’s all a blur now. I do remember, though, how nice the ship was - a vast improvement over the Epic.?