• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Brand New AIDAnova Ready for Float Out

Rate this topic

Jason

The first cruise ship from AIDA Cruises to use LNG is scheduled to leave the Meyer Weft's covered building dock on August 21.

AIDAnova is the world's first cruise ship that will be operated both in port and at sea on LNG, using four dual-fuel Caterpillar engines. 

On leaving the building dock, she will berth at the shipyard’s outfitting pier where her mast and funnel cladding will be fitted, along with further interior fitting out. Additionally, her engines will be tested using LNG. 

Approximately 1,400 members of the ship’s crew will shortly be commencing their onboard training. 

Her passage along the river Ems to the North Sea for sea trials is scheduled for the end of September. The 5,200-passenger cruise ship will be welcoming her first guests on board in mid-November 2018, immediately after delivery. AIDAnova will have over 2,600 passenger cabins, with a gross tonnage of over 180,000, a length of 337 meters (1,105 feet) and a width of 42 meters (138 feet).

Carnival Corporation has contracted with Meyer Werft for seven LNG ships, including two each for AIDA and Costa, as well as two for Carnival Cruise Line and one for P&O Cruises. “Other firms that are adopting LNG-power include Royal Caribbean International, which has ordered two ships from Meyer, and Disney Cruise Line, which will use LNG-power for its three cruise ships also on order at Meyer,” says cruise industry analyst, Allan E Jordan. In addition, MSC Cruises plans to build four 200,000 gross ton LNG-powered cruise ships at STX France.

Carnival and AIDA have already been gaining experience successfully using LNG in the dual-fuel engines on AIDA’s new cruise ship the AIDAprima to generate power while in port at Hamburg, Southampton, Le Havre and Zeebrügge. 

The Maritime Executive spoke with Tom Strang, Senior Vice President Maritime Affairs for Carnival Corporation, to get an in-depth view of the challenges. He says, LNG is an economic, clean and safe marine fuel with increasing global availability that also complies with existing and scheduled emission requirements. “By building new ships that will be powered by LNG both while in port and at sea, we believe we are setting ourselves up to take advantage of these benefits and future-proofing our fleet.”

By Maritime Executive
Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more
For more cruise news and articles go to https://www.cruisecrazies.com

View full article

I'm not familiar with the LNG power systems... will have to check with my hubby who knows about those things.  Wondering if that will help the problems they had a few years back with the pod systems.  If it is a better system that will be great since many ships had issues that spoiled people's cruises, and cost the companies a lot to fix the problems. It may not have anything to do with the pod systems, but it sounds good. Gonna ask my  husband about it...LOL

Edited by Shari2

Well...got a long talk with hubby and he says this is not about the Pod systems, and it is a natural gas and the combination is  natural gas and diesel fuel.  I'm probably getting this all wrong since my mind is not at the mechanical, engineering state...LOL   He does say that there could be a safety danger of gas leak if there could be human error or equipment failure...hoping that they have  taken extra care  for all of that.  OK, hope I'm getting this right.  And I'm sure they have all thought of all of that since they are experts.  It should be good for cleaner air.

Any other thoughts on this?

Edited by Shari2

First of all this is another behemoth ship which of course is the trend these days. 

I do wonder if operating costs will be reduced due to greater fuel efficiency though if so I don’t think this will reduce prices. 

Isnt Aida a German ship geared to the German market? I’ve heard most announcements are in German as is entertainment.

Larry, yes...I read that they speak German on these ships and cater to Europeans who mostly speak German. Yes...this should reduce operating costs; not too likely it will reduce the cost of cruising for the guests.  Maybe...?  Sounds like a lot of other cruise lines are thinking of going this way.  Hope it all works out for the best.

Edited by Shari2