• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Why only Carry-on luggage?

Rate this topic

CruiseNewbie

I am a Newbie to cruising and curious to why all the tips and tricks to packing only use a smaller carry-on bag?  Is there no room for a larger bag?  I have been watching all the items I should get from Dollar Tree and other places and I now fear I will run out of room for clothes.  We will be cruising on the Norwegian Encore and have a Aft Balcony stateroom reserved.   

Edited by CruiseNewbie

Hi CruiseNewbie and welcome to CruiseCrazies! That’s a great question, and I have to laugh, too, when I see those videos showing items neatly rolled or arranged in cubes into a small carryon. While it’s possible to pack that tightly organized for a 3 or 4 day cruise, I think most of us need the bigger bag for a longer cruise. 🤣 With airline bag fees, people are looking for ways to save money, I guess. I say pack whatever size bag your comfortable with keeping in mind airline size and weight limits (if you’re flying to the ship). After a few cruises, you’ll figure out that you really don’t need some of the stuff all the packing lists say you have to have.🙂

Thanks Jan115 for your response.  My main concern is how to store a larger piece of luggage.  I read where the carry-ons will store under the bed, but unsure if the large bag will fit there as well.  Our cruise is for 7 days and we will probably take 1 large bag and 1 carry-on size (check both since they are free).  I also purchased a smaller under the seat bag that I will take on the plane with me.  I want to make sure my medicines, electronic items, and a change of clothes are available when I need them.  

Edited by CruiseNewbie

It won't be a problem. I almost always been able to fit both a large bag and a carry on under the bed. Even if you can't fit the larger bag under the bed, there should be room to stand it upright in the closet. What ship and cabin type are you sailing? If you do a google search of the ship and the cabin type, you can find photos or YouTube videos for a virtual tour of the cabin layout. Good idea for under-the-seat storage for the plane. Just be sure you're not in the very first seat in the section - there's no under-seat storage, only overhead bins for those seats, and you'll have to get up and down to get at your stuff. 

Since it's your first cruise, why not check out my first-time cruiser tips for more helpful hints.🙂

Jan,

We are doing a 7-day cruise on the brand new ship Norwegian Encore.  We are staying in an Aft Balcony Stateroom.  It is not as big as a mini-suite (price is the same), but was told we would love the Aft balcony.  Still considering switching to a mini-suite.    I am glad to hear that we do not have to limit ourselves to only smaller carry-on bags.   I also thought we would be able to stand it up in the closet.   We don't travel until late next spring, but have watched a ton of "what to pack" and Dollar Tree Shopping videos.  I am sure I will overpack since this is our first cruise and unsure what we really need.  Our oldest son who is a new country singer (just won some new-comber awards) is hosting shows and activities, so I know I will need outfits for these casual events.  

10 hours ago, CruiseNewbie said:

Jan,

We are doing a 7-day cruise on the brand new ship Norwegian Encore.  We are staying in an Aft Balcony Stateroom.  It is not as big as a mini-suite (price is the same), but was told we would love the Aft balcony.  Still considering switching to a mini-suite.    I am glad to hear that we do not have to limit ourselves to only smaller carry-on bags.   I also thought we would be able to stand it up in the closet.   We don't travel until late next spring, but have watched a ton of "what to pack" and Dollar Tree Shopping videos.  I am sure I will overpack since this is our first cruise and unsure what we really need.  Our oldest son who is a new country singer (just won some new-comber awards) is hosting shows and activities, so I know I will need outfits for these casual events.  

That sounds awesome! We did an Aft balcony once on Princess. The views are fabulous and it's peaceful and quiet, but I wouldn't do one again on the big ships because it's a long hike to get anywhere. I did a mini suite on the Breakaway once and loved it. Is your son an entertainer on board or are you cruising as part of a group of country music fans? Either way, you must be so proud of him!🙂 In March, I am cruising on Norwegian Joy, which is the same class ship. We'll have to compare notes!🙂