• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Back to Back Cruises

Rate this topic

tigersrq

Has anyone on this board booked a back to back cruise and had the first leg of it cancelled by the cruise line?

We were booked b2b on Star Princess for the 4/30 Transatlantic and the 5/15 Baltic. Princess did offer to fly us to Copenhagen from Ft. Lauderdale for the Baltic cruise on 5/15. That would cut 15 days off our vacation which has been planned for awhile. So, as an alternative we are now booked on Millennium's 4/30 transatlantic - FLL to Barcelona. Princess now wants nothing to do with us as far as getting us from Barcelona to Copenhagen on May 14th. I feel that Princess should take some responsibility here. We are now paying more for the transatlantic in a smaller cabin than we had booked on Star, flight to Copenhagen from Barcelona, 1 night in a hotel, and taxi to the pier. This trip is costing a lot more than it would have had the Star transatlantic not been cancelled.

The fire on Star was a tragic thing and I understand why Princess had no choice but to cancel the transatlantic but shouldn't they assume some responsibility for the back to back cruisers??? We will receive a refund (in 2 to 6 weeks) for the first leg plus 25% which they allowed us to apply to the May 15th cruise. And, now we are on our own.

Anyway, I am interested in opinions here. How do other cruise lines treat their passengers in a situation like this?

Terry

tigersrq,

I know cancellations can be very upsetting. It's happened to me on the Carnival Jubilee that was to sail the Southern Caribbean.

Is it possible for you to book a round trip cruise or B2B for the 15 days and end up in Ft. Lauderdale to take advantage of the Princess offer?

The transatlantic cruise would have been exciting with ports of call to some interesting spots, but it's your call.

Princess did have that major fire and they're already losing a lot of money on the cancellations. They probably have to make the best possible buisness decision and try to please their customers as best they can. Unfortunately you have that B2B which may be a little rare.

I'm wondering if the airfare from Barcelona to Copenhagen is far less expensive than FLL to Copenhagen.

Iberia lists the fare, via Madrid, at 132.51 Euros, via Madrid . SAS lists it as much more: $297. You may be able to do better on a search engine, or there may be a high speed train (but there apparently isn't). A Royal pain, but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

To be honest, it does seem odd that Princess will get you to Copenhagen from FLL, but not from Barcelona. They're probably punishing you for not using a cruise line owned by Carnival.

Sorry, jtutak, I don't mean to sound greedy. I just do not understand since Princess did offer to fly us from Florida to Copenhagen, why they won't fly us from Barcelona to Copenhagen. Makes no sense.

Merbert, we have booked Millennium transatlantic. The whole idea of this vacation was a nice relaxing transatlantic followed by the port-intensive Baltic.

The cost for BCN-CPH flight, 1 night in a hotel, and transfers combined would be a lot less expensive than flying us from FL to CPH so Princess would be out less money in the long run.

Thank you for your opinions. It always helps to hear what others have to say. :smiley:

Terry

Good point, JoanandJoe!

However, when Princess called to advise us of the cancellation of the transatlantic, we were informed that all their transatlantics were booked and so they could not help us! We would have been happy to do the transatlantic on a ship owned by Carnival had there been a cabin available on a cruise that would get us to Copenhagen in time for the Baltic leg.

Thanks for the flight info. Iberia seems to be the way to go - best price I have seen yet. I found a flight on Spanair that was reasonable and also did notice that SAS was much higher.

Terry