• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tales about table mates

Rate this topic

GottaCruz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one delightful couple that we had as tablemates at our table of eight made up for the rest. One couple didn't show up half the time and we waited for them before starting dinner and then the woman showed up in jeans on formal night. The other couple - total overbearing snobs. My husband is a PhD, we're related to royalty blah blah blah.

I'm thinking though, that when we're complaining about tablemates, if they're not reading what we write! Probably wouldn't recognize themselves.

• 2 years later...

The ones we had on the Miracle takes the cake.

We started out sitting alone, after the 2nd night that changed. When we realized we was at a table by ourselves we decided to just stay. We loved the waitress and her asst. we had. Well the 3rd night another couple shows up. They looked to be in there mid 60's. We greeted them when we got to the table, they explained they moved from another table. I said hope we dont say anything to offend you. She said oh dont worry about, that I will just call you a B1TC* if you do. Ok now that is out of the way!! LOL

I asked what exciting did they do today. (our first stop Grand Cayman) Her answer was I went shopping while he stayed on board and read. When I got back to the ship I got layed. About this time I needed to go to the ladies room. LOL Jim made the statement after I left, dont be surpised if she doesnt come back, she has a habit of disappearing on me. LOL The female (noticed I didnt say lady?? LOL)response was I dont give a (insert that 4 letter word here) It goes down hill from there, (if you want the rest of the story PM me I will tell ya) but we didnt move, we laughed about it, held our breath till they left the table right after the main course. LOL

They showed up 3 nights, when she told use they didnt like to "play Dressup" for formal night I made it my business to remind them Friday night would be formal night. LOL Then they didnt show up the lastnight either.

This went on for the 3 nights they sat with us.

When the bread was presented this woman reached in the basket took her bread out with her hands. The waitress said mam I will get it for you, the female takes another peice of bread. (Guess she couldnt understand english).

It would have took everything I had to not popped her hands with the thongs. LOL She gets the crust of her bread eats that, then takes his removes the crust eats that, then throws all the insides to his plate. She decided her hubbys food looked good, instead of asking for a lil bit she just starts cutting his up with her knife then shoves it in her mouth. When she chewed I was scared the food was gonna end up back on the table. (Yucky I know) She talked openly about her sex life, how she had to sleep with 4 guys to be able to leave a country where her visa had expired. So she could come to America and marry the man she is with now. geesh I dont have virgen ears but that was a lil to much info for us!! LOL

They weren't our tablemates, but on one of our cruses, there were 2 young couples traveling together. They were seated at the table right next to ours. One of the them had infant twin girls, probably around 6 mos. old or so, and the other had 2 toddlers. One night, during dinner, the father of the twins was playing with one of the girls, and talking to her in baby talk quite loudly. He was holding her up in the air and blowing raspberries on her tummy. Then he says, in a very audible voice "daddy thinks you have poopy pants, yes he does". After checking, he proceeds to lay her on the dinner tabe and change her "poopy pants". It was definitely something I could have done without.

We have generally had very good luck but a couple of years ago we had "Mr. I have 3 PHD's" and his wife at our table along with one other couple. Mr. I have 3 PHD's (that's how we referred to him while having pre-dinner drinks with the other couple) sent back his soup 3 times - too hot, too cold, too salty. Salad was not fresh, meat over-cooked etc, etc. etc. On top of it all he was down right rude to our waiter and his assistant. (Actually told him he was stupid and should go back to where he came from) By day 3 he would not even place his order with the waiter - insisted on being taken care of by the Maitre'd. Everynight he ended dinner by telling us he would probably not be joining us the next night as he was trying to "clear his schedule to have dinner with the Captain." Needless to say that never happened but on the 7th or 8th night a bottle of wine was delivered to our table with apologies from "the Captain" that they couldn't manage to have dinner together. He shared the wine with all of us. After dinner my DH saw him outside the dining room signing the bill for the bottle of wine. (This was confirmed by the bartender who took care of him) He had sent the wine to himself with a note to TRY and impress us. After the first day or so when we knew what kind of jerk he really was, we had many many laughs at his expense.

Ocean Angel - the first 2 nights I though DH was going to go across the table and choke Mr. PHD. Then we decided we woud not let this fool ruin our vacation and we did not want to change tables and leave the other couple stranded. So we met the other couple in the Concierge Lounge before dinner, had a few free drinks and he was more bearable after that. LOL We also did not want to leave the table because we knew he would not be tipping our poor waiter who just could not make this man happy. We were right - he did come to dinner the last night and lectured us on how the waiter did not deserve a tip and we should follow suit and not tip him. He finished his dinner and they walked out of the dining room without even a Thank You