• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Another tipping question

Rate this topic

sailingrose

Although tipping is a personal matter I've always been curious as to how much extra is "good." I know everyone's idea's are different but I'm sure others would like to know too.

We had excelllent service on the Adventure and tipped those servers an extra 3 days worth of tips. I considered that a good tip on a 7 day cruise.

Thanks for answering. I was hoping others would too. I will say that the tips we gave on the Adventure were the biggest ever. They were just that good.

Usually we give them about $20 extra for the week. Longboysfan we have also done that.

Although tipping is a personal matter I've always been curious as to how much extra is "good."

good question...

We don't have a "formula" the extra is normally based on hoe the service was... but on a 7 nighters the wait staff might get another 25/30 a piece and the cabin steward another 50

IMO unless you received stellar service that was far above normal, I think you are way to generous and ruining cruising for the rest of us. One of the reasons I don't like land vacations is everyone has their hand out.

we dont have a set tip..we base it on the service we get...we always tip..just if we get extra good service we dont mind tipping for it..we understand the servers depend on the tipsfor a living..and we also understand that we are not the only people on board so we are understanding if we have to wait for something...as long as we are taken care we take care of our servers..

I said in the other tipping post that the suggested tip for our room steward was around $140 and we gave her more. In our minds, she earned it. Before sailing, she was actually in our cabin just chatting when they announced the lifeboat drill. We groaned about how much we hated those (it was really hot) and she went and pulled the drapes over the balcony door and the window and told us to just stay in our cabin and be very quiet, which we did. We also asked for extra glasses and she brought us those Carnival Souvenoir drink glasses that you get to take home. We had mentioned that we were celebrating our anniversary and she left us a card in our cabin. We wanted for nothing - it was almost as if she knew what we wanted before we did. Okay, I know that she shouldn't have helped us skip out on the drill, but we really appreciated it. Wish we would come across her again on another cruise.

Hello Sailingrose! :grin:

Me and Annie always Prepay our Gratuities! And then we can tip accordingly to Services Rendered when the occasion arises! Also we may put extra into the Envelope at the end of our cruise for extra Services Rendered as well! Also we only Drink on Cruises or Special Events and then just some casual Drinks, not just the time you get up until you go to bed types that Ive witnessed on many cruises! :tongue: Also I find a Bar that I want to frequent a lot and give the Bartender a $20.00 tip upfront and that way I wont be obligated to give extra besides the mandatory tip that is taken out for each purchase! I just draw a line through the extra space for additional tip! :wink: Also we purchase prepaid Phone cards and give them out to our Head Waiter and Waiters and Cabin Steward as well!Usually in $10.00 amounts so they can call their families when in Ports! :wink: You can be too Gracious so just tip accordingly to what you think is right, Everyone has a different opinion on this! :wink: This is Our way of Tipping! :grin: