• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Another tipping question

Rate this topic

sailingrose

just tip accordingly to what you think is right,

Robert I think that is the correct answer..

Thanks Joie! :wink:

Im not trying to critize anyone elses ways but put in a different view and perspective and maybe some fresh Ideas as well and everyone can ignore or disagree and I wont take any offense unless its slanderous which I havent seen on this site, I only see a Whole bunch of A-1 Quality Respectful people here! And Hey! We can agree to disagree with friendly Banter! :wink:

Now that's an interesting question.

I really don't know how to answer it. We always get good service. So what makes it better? We tend to judge it on personality, how quickly our room is made up, how good the wine service is... etc But again, it's always been good. We tend to overtip, especially to the assistant waiter, they seem to work so hard and a good one can really make your dining room experience better.

To answer sailingrose's question, I think that your tip was very generous, kind of in the overtip area. We usually follow the same guidelines as you and tip around 50% more than the minimum.

We never tip at the beginning of the cruise, always on the last night. If we have a favourite bartender or two, we will tip them $20 and if we have spent a lot of time listening to the pianist in one of the lounges, we will tip him also. On RCI we have always tipped the Concierge, except for our last cruise. He was so bad we didn't think he deserved it. We tipped his assistant instead and she was very surprised.

We have gone so far as to remove <]tips once we authorized them because of poor service..

.... not withstanding personalty, eagerness, and over all efficiency all goes into the amount tipped.

As far as bar setting I have never given a 5 My scales are (1-5)But I have given a 4.5.. I dont expect anyone achive the five (thats how high I set the bar for me).. i just want them to try...

and ...

If they make me feel special I make them feel special.. then i hope we both win!

joey

Very interesting perspectives.

I did receive A plus service from our cabin steward and our dining staff on the Adventure Jim. Cabin steward folded my DD clothes, something we haven't seen in years, head waiter made sure the food was to my liking and made some special accomodations for us beyond the norm. Our waitstaff was amazing! Best service I've had in years on RCI so I did reward them well.

I don't do that on every trip...........usually we give an extra $10 if they are very good. I usually tip the concierge but not always like you Jbond. Some of them are just going through the motions. I'm a believer in earning your tips, not just giving money away. I used to be a waitress many moons ago.

Joey I agree with your scale but we do it on 1-10. I've had 9's but on the Adventure I had 10's! A definite rare occurence.

SCIROCCO we are a friendly bunch and are very different from other boards in a wonderful way, NO nastiness!!!!!

I love having so many different opinions!

We were stranded on the ship in Barcelona last year because of a strike. We spent most of the last day in our cabin and got to talk to our cabin steward and his wife, also his assistant, for about an hour. We talked about family and ambitions etc and why they chose to work on the ships. The reason was for the quick money that they couldn't make in Romania. He brought up the subject of tips and commented that we were generous tippers. He said that most people tip and very few don't. His comment was that you can almost always tell who is not going to tip from the first day. They complain about everything and are always asking for more and are never satisfied. Regarding tipping upfront, he thought it was nice, but didn't make him work any harder. He said he had a pride in what he did and did his best for everyone. He also stated that phone cards were not that well used, especially in Europe. Almost everyone on the ship had cell phones and in Europe coverage was pretty widespread.

They planned to work for another couple of years and then buy a small hotel back home. It was an interesting conversation and most unexpected.

Very Interesting jbond! :wink:

Because all of our people appreciated the Phone cards upfront tips and were very gracious so its different with everyone! :wink: We have had them come to our cabin when their shifts were over and have also had some interesting conversations! :wink: I was told they appreciate small gifts of appreciaton and the phone cards were a releief because their cell phone bills were extremely high! Also the ports telephones were high as well :wink: It just depends on who you talk to! :wink: Ill keep doing what I do I dont expect them to work harder just my appreciation of what they do and try to help them out a little more I tell them that upfront! :wink: So everyone to their own! INMHO :wink:

Sure comes in handy SKAOLboy! :wink:

I too keep Ones and 5's too! Also before I board to pay the Baggage Handlers because i dont usually have over 3 bags to check! I usually give them $2 per Bag! Thats what Ive been told to give them and they always seem Happy! :wink: Also If its a far ways to baggage checkin I might give more due the distance of pulling the baggage cart! :wink: Usually I just pull my own baggage to checkin because all the Handlers are busy! :grin: So I tip myself with a Drink of the Day! :wink: :grin: