• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

help me plan a first cruise for me and my grandma?

Rate this topic

bradleyheathhays

Hi everybody !! I'm planning to give my 86 yo grandma a cruise this year (just me and her) and I need some direction on what kind of trip to plan considering her limited mobility. Neither one of us has been on a cruise before so I'm sure it'll be a great adventure no matter what.

Although she can stand and walk short distances without much trouble, she really needs to sit most of the time, and this is probably the biggest consideration for the entire trip. Because of this limitation our priorities are...

1) Good views from the ship as we won't be getting off for sight seeing

2) A ship made for easy access for wheel chairs

3) Good weather

4) A cruise in the Western hemisphere, excluding S. America

5) Something in the 3-6 day cruise range

Those are about it really. She's really not so much outgoing so I doubt she'd want to participate in too many of the planned boat activities.

From my research so far, depending on our budget, personally I'd like to get a room with a great sea side view.

Thats all for now. Thanks for your time, I'm all ears.

PS. Any links to cruise FAQs would be greatly appreciated.

I've never cruised on Holland America, but I did receive a DVD from them showing all the things they do onboard to improve accessibility. I would start with them. Check out their website, and see if you can still order the video.

There is so much more to consider. Where do you live? Are you looking for warm or cool weather cruises? When are you planning to travel? Are you going to have to fly to and from the cruise port? From what you have posted already I would suggest a Princess or HAL cruise, but they usually don't offer cruises that are shorter than 7 days. Also, is your grandmother able to handle steps? All regular cruise ship staterooms have a step up into the bathroom. HAL has bathubs that she will have to step in and out of. If she needs a w/c almost full time, I would recommend booking a handicapped accessible stateroom as they have roll in showers, grab bars and no steps up into the bathrooms.

In order to have the easiest time of it, you have to spend the money. That is, suites are easier to deal with than cabins; the more expensive cruise lines cater more to an older crowd; that sort of thing.

Insofar as where to go, if you're not going to leave the ship, then an Alaska inside passage cruise offers spectacular shipboard views; either have a balcony or get deck seating early.

Hope this helps.

Well from what you say...

1 - Balcony stateroom.

2 - Ship built from 1986 on.

3 - Caribbean / Mexican Rivera

4 - Same as you may not want to fly all that far.

5 - Most cruises are 3 / 4 / 5 / 7 days.

So..... Where would be best to depart from - West Coast or Florida.

What time of the year would you like to cruise.

Say you wanted to go in May of this year - from Florida

Royal Caribbean has 4 and 5 day cruises from Ft. Lauderdale.

Carnival has 4 and 5 night cruises from Miami.

Celebrity has 5 night cruises from Miami.

Holland America has 4 day cruises on the Pacific from Sand Diego to Vancouver.

Princess has a 3 or 4 or 5 day cruise from LA to Vancouver

I've been on a number of different ships: all offering all types of handicap accessibility. I like the website vacationstogo.com. It is an easy site to navigate. If you click on a ship that you like, you can read all the accommodations that the ship has to offer.

Balcony cabin will give you the best "views" but there is a lip from the stateroom to the balcony that you have to step over (I'm not sure if a wheelchair can fit through the glass door, I just don't recall. All balconies come with chairs, small table and there is a railing that you can look over.

Many times I would see senior citizens just sitting under the overhang by the pool. The overhang protects them from the sun but they are able to see the folks in all directions AND look out the window into the ocean (or sea).

I know you said you wouldn't be "sight seeing" but there are wonderful handicap accessible tours available. We've been on air conditioned busses, rented drivers for vans and private vehicles. What a shame if you didn't get to even see the countrysides. The only ports that I would be extra cautious are those that get tendered over. Your grandmother would have more steps to negotiate on the tender than the places where the ship docks right at the port.

As was stated above, if you give us an idea of where you are thinking, time of year, climate, approx price range, I'm sure we can all give you our opinions.

This is a wonderful gift! And you are so thoughtful in doing this for her.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...from your requirements so far, my advice would be:

1) Best views from the ship would be Alaska. Otherwise, your views are lots of water or a dock. Another option would be an inland river cruise.

2) Most any ship built in the past decade will have a handicapped accessible cabin. They sell out quick so you'd need to book early to get one. Another aspect to consider is that some ships (e.g. Carnival Miracle) have been outfitted specifically for handicapped access throughout the entire vessel. Every ship has experience dealing with all sorts of handicap situations so just let them know when you book.

3) Weather is not exactly controllable. You'd have to talk to your favorite deity on that one LOL. Stay out of the Caribbean in June through September if you don't like high humidity and heat. Best solution for weather is travel insurance. Rain will not stop a cruise but a hurricane may. However, cruise ship captains have more expereience dealing with hurricanes than anyone on the planet. The captain will reroute the ship to still give you a great vacation.

4) Check with your travel agent about theme cruises. There might be a group your grandma would enjoy participating with having a theme cruise. I've heard of all kinds of theme cruises includng NASCAR fans, Goths, genealogists, Neil Diamond fans, quilters and even nudists.

Lots of sites out there for research. My site specializes in tips for new cruisers (cruise-rookies).

Hello,

I think what you are doing is wonderful. Here is what I have done and based on your situation, this is what I recommend and why. .

Not sure on your budget, but if you are in the $5000 dollar range for the both of you inclusive I think you can pull it off very easy. .

I sailed to Alaska this year and that by far was my favorite place I have been on a cruise. All because of the things you see from your stateroom balcony. I highly recommend that cruise based on what you listed in your criteria. It is geared towards scenery on the boat.

I recommend Holland America for your Grandmother. (Not necessarily for you) These guys run a ship to cater for the older crowd. You will have help everywhere you turn with a smile and grattitude from every crew member. They will help her with her food at the buffet and if you choose room service, you will like that as well. Get a handicap balcony if you are on a budget, a suite if you have a bit more money. This comes with easy access to your washroom and a larger room. I am only 40 and was by far one of the youngest on this ship. I liked it, but will wait a few more years to sail Holland America until I need that kind of pampering. I sailed with them to the Panama Canal. Very nice experience with them.

If you choose Alaska, then do the round trip from Seattle. It will likely be a 7 day cruise, but one more day will not hurt. It will be cheaper airfare and also easy to get to. If you fly to Anchorage, the trip to the ship will be harder than if you went to Seattle.

I recommend finding your cruise on vacationstogo.com and then posting the cruise you pick on cruisecompete.com. This will allow you to get the best price. Just read the directions and you will find that it is pretty easy.

Feel free to ask more questions. We all love cruising here and if you want to get the biggest bang for your buck because you are on a budget. . .This is the best way I have found to do it!