• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

SHORE EXCURSION QUESTION

Rate this topic

We will be going on our first cruise - to Alaska - in September 2008.

Here's the question ~ should I book our shore excursions using the Carnival web site or should I venture out on my own & book them with the companies or use a company like "shore trips'??

We will be on the cruise by ouselves, not like the Loco In Acapulco Cruise where we will be with a group of cruisers who have done this before; & we can look out for each other.

My concern is - or course, missing the boat!!

We are very independant - tend to pay attention to the time, etc. What I have heard is that if you go through the cruise line - you pay a lot more!! Is this true?? Plus - if we go on our own, it may be a smaller group - better chance of seeing critters!!

I have plenty of time to research & plan ahead - either way we plan on doing the helicopter - glacier trek in Juneau; float plane to see the bears in Ketchikan & the Yukon White Pass Railrod trip in Skagway.

Any help - as always is very appreciated.

Thanks!!

L

Linda

I have never in 8 cruises booked an excursion through Carnival or Disney Cruise Line.

I too am like yo, independant and pay attention to time and my surroundings.......

When I have booked excursions with private tour oprators I do my homework, I make sure MANY other curisers have used them, I look for 99% of positive feedback on thier excursions... I understand you cant make every traveller happy, so what I look for is new vehicle for transportation, tardiness, ( meaning thier van isnt breaking down and they arent going to be late getting to the ship ) I dont want a tour operator to promise me a tour of the entire island and lunch and a few hours at the beach, knowing I am only in port for 6 hours..

I make sure what they are offering me is realistic, both in time and price....

This is a great topic and I am glad you brought it up.... :happy:

For me i have went throw the cruises and done it myself

and if you go throw the cruise lines it is cheeper but they sale out fast

doing it yourself cost more but you can get what you want when you want it.

LOL...funny you should mention that....When I was in Cozumel we were leaving at midnight the other Carnival ship was having trouble & staying in port longer I think it was the Inspriation. Anyhow when we were pulling away a couple came running down the docks all drunk thinking it was there ship leaving....lol

close but if there ship did not have trouble it would have left an hour earler so they would have missed the ship....