• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

How bold are you?

Rate this topic

zebra

When eating in the dining room - how many of you ask that they change the presentation of a particular dish..... and what changes do you generally make?

I haven't changed presentation.. but i did ask them to take away an entrée because it was unacceptable..that conversation was a long 45 seconds..

Because I have so many food allergies, I have to make special requests. I use to write down all of the foods that I could not have. The list became way too long. So, I start with a paragraph that says I am highly allergic and that I will list the foods that I can have. I emphasize NO BUTTER, NO DAIRY, NO MILK (I spell it out because I'm not always sure "they get it."), no grains (no gluten).

So when it comes time for my meal (whether it's on a ship or at a restaurant), I always ask if it was marinated and in what? How is it prepared? I then say that I need the item without sauce, without butter, blah, blah, blah. I remind them that I am allowed herbs, spices, olive oil and steamed vegetables.

So I start with, "I'll have salad, just plain greens, no croutons, no cheese, no dressing. I'll have oil on the side." If it comes with things that I am not allowed to have, I set it aside and don't eat it. I really try not to make too much of a pest of myself. Most times the wait staff will present the item and ask me if it's okay.

So, YES, I am extremely fastidious over how something is prepared and ask questions all the time.