• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska Cruise

Rate this topic

gogetter

We came back two weeks ago, the warmest months of the season. The highest it got was 73. The lowest, about 50. No reggae music on deck, as it was often raining outside and too cool for people to enjoy being on deck. People use the pool, with warmed water, and the hot tubs are in use, even in the rain and around the glaciers.

Hi Gogetter. My sister and her family took an Alaskan cruise on the Carnival Spirit last summer. From what she told me, and from her pictures, it's not my cup of tea either. They went in July, yet they were cold and the only music she heard on the cruise was by string quartets of some type. She said it was a nice cruise, but she also agreed that it was back to the tropical cruises with steel drum bands for her; I agree!

Dawn

On the flip side we had the time of our lives in 1997 in Alaska. This was our first cruise and I would go back in a heartbeat. We went in Sept and the average temp was 70. We expected it to be cold but found it refreshing to be so warm. We live in Wisconsin! What made the whole trip, were the people we met on board. We had a blast with the people and ended up going on excursions with them. We even stood up for acouple that had come on board alone to get married. Yes if you want reggae then you need to go to the tropics but I enjoyed the glaciers and watching them fall into the water several times. We have done the tropics ourselves since but we plan on going back to Alaska again. The scenery is beautiful and worth seeing atleast once in your life.

I have to agree with Schatje. We went on an Alaskan cruise in 1994, and it remains the best cruise we've ever been on.

We live in so. California, so the temperature is warm in the summer. We went to Alaska in a July and it was in the 70's, except for the day we spent at the glaciers, when it was cold. No one used the pool on that particular trip.

We have another Alaskan cruise scheduled for next year and I can't wait. The excursions were the very best...what an experience to see nature like that.

Truthfully, I much prefer a cruise to Alaska and seeing something different, than another tropical cruise. Gogetter, if you have the chance, an Alaskan cruise is something you don't want to miss.

If what you want is hot weather, beaches and raggae music stay away from Alaska.

Alaska is for those that love wildlife and the beauty of their outdoors. Alaska is never the same twice due to the changing of the glaciers and where, when and what type of wildlife you may see.

Alaska is a place where you may see humpback whales bubblenet feeding or a pod of Orca whales. You may see Dahls porpoise playing off the wake of your ship. It is not unheard of to see sea otters as well as sea lions. You more then likely will see many bald eagles as well as many other types of birds. If you keep your eyes open you may see some bear, moose or mountain goats. You can see the blue reflecting from a glacier. If lucky you may see some calving of a glacier.

Alaska does get hot at times but usually not for long periods of time. It does get into the 80's in Alaska where the ships go.

Again if all you want is hot weather beaches and raggae music it is not the place for you. If you want to see natural beauty and wildlife give it a try you may be surprised.

For me I'll take Alaska over the Caribbean anyday but then I live for the wilderness and the outdoors. I have no interests in cities and beaches.

And by the way if you have seen pictures of someones cruise to Alaska you have not seen Alaska because pictures do not do it justice regardless of how good a cameraman a person is. JMHO

Peb !! Great Post.. I have always wanted to expierence Alaska and Canada, maybe once I can talk DP into it we will go.... I have heard of the Beauty of that part of the world..It's one thing to see pictures but another to smell the smells :grin: