• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Do you read on a cruise?

Rate this topic

hazelson

I always take books with me when I travel - DH thinks it's a waste of time.

But I love sitting out on the balcony with a good book - preferably one about cruising.

Any suggestions on what I should bring with me next time.

So far my favourite has been "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiassen.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read, but not as much as Cindy does. She also loves to sit on the balcony to read. I bring books on dvds and listen to them as I relax. Carl Hiassen seems to be a perfect cruise book.

Yes! I love reading on the ship. The Caribbean Princess has a library so I check stuff out there. They have plenty of Carl Hiaasen books. Skinny Dip is also my favorite! When you run out of his adult books, check out his young adult books. Such as Hoot or Flush. They're not so young adult after all! His new book, A Downhill Lie is about golfing. Not sure if I'll read it, but it sounds ironic coming from him- being a conservationalist and all.

I just read Caribbean Cruising by Rachel Hawthorne. This is also a young adult book, but it was great and made me feel like I was on a cruise ship.

Another good book I read was Hula Done It? by Maddy Hunter. This was a mystery book based on a cruise ship. It was really good as well.

I'll be reading My Life on a Cruise Ship by Micha Berman. (This was requested by another Cruise Crazie).

Hope this helps! :cool2: We need a smiley face guy that has a book over his face.

I am a big reader. I always have my nose in a book when I have some free time I spend quite a bit of time out on our deck, in my swing, with a book in one hand and a Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade in the other. I usually take 2-3 books on a cruise as it only takes me a couple of days to finish one. I love sitting on the balcony and reading on sea days and I always take a clip-on book light with me so I can sit out at night and read.

I love to read. I have not had a chance lately but I usually have my nose in a book when I have a spare moment. I usually take at least 4 books with me when we go on a trip. I take it to the beach on the balacony where ever I have a chance.

I am looking for a couple of good books to read now. Any suggestions.

We both love to read on a cruise: mysteries, Sci Fi, history, historical fiction, etc. Cruises, after all, are for relaxing. Typically I read a book about every two days (more on sea days), Joan more than a book a day. We usually bring more than ten books, then swap in the ship's library for additional books. so even though we read a lot, we often come home with almost as many books as we started with. This past trip (to Alaska) Joan even mailed some extra books home via media mail.

Joan has recently started the trick of bringing hard cover books on the trip, weight allowance permitting. Those are left on the ship, leaving us with extra weight allowance and space for the trip home.

I read all the time, and yes, I take a book with me on a cruise. I'm currently making my way through all the James Patterson books and he WRITES books faster than I can read! So, there are plenty. I also like Philip Margolin.

I don't specifically search out books about cruising, although I happened to be reading a book about the Titanic just before we went on our very first cruise. What a mistake! I was freaked out, needless to say. LOL!