• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Travel Insurance?

Rate this topic

SPark524

We used to only get the insurance occasionally, now we get it every time. We were lucky to have it the one time we needed it (volcanic ash, cancelled flights, train tickets, hotel cancelations…) that we realized how much it would have cost us otherwise! Travel insurance is a very small investment for the value.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have purchased travel insurance for month-long trips to Europe, I have never considered it for a cruise. After what I witnessed this week, I will definitely start getting for future cruises.

I just returned home from cruise #7. On my flight to the port, a woman on the plane had a medical emergency. It was like a movie- the flight attendants called for physicians on board, brought out all the medical equipment, etc. Most of the people on the plane had cruise luggage tags on their bags, and it is entirely possible she was on her way to a cruise. If that was not reason enough to consider travel insurance, a few days later, two people had to be air-lifted off the ship! Yikes.

My husband and I discussed it, and will purchase travel insurance in the future "just in case" something happens.

It's a personal decision for everyone, depending on you health, the health of your family, and how much money of your vacation you are willing to risk. For us, we never travel without it. You absolutely never know when an emergency situation will arise. An emergency helicopter evac from a ship, alone, can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Another reason for us - I double-fractured my ankle while on a land trip close to home in 2006, and I can only imagine what the experience would have been like on a cruise in a far-away country. Really, when you're spending you hard-earned dollars on a much-needed holiday, it's well worth the few extra bucks for the peace of mind you'll get from it.

Honestly, I recommend it to all my clients ans I ALWAYS buy it for my cruises. No one can predict the future and what may happen...fall down stairs while on the ship; heart attack, even a toothache is covered. (I know because not only do i sell cruises, I am also a dentist!)

We always get it today...we didn't back in our younger years and we were lucky and didn't need it, but now we always get it. We did have to use it a few years ago when we had to cancel a last minute cruise when my mother had a heart attack.

I think a lot of us were that way. I know we never got insurance in the early years yes lucky. When you are young nothing can happen( you think). today would never take the chance.

Joe

We always get it and have never used it until this last cruise. Would you know on the 2nd day of ours cruise I was running a HIGH fever and weazing ... had bronchitis which I must have contracted in Sydney just before boarding. The onboard Doctors' bill was almost $300 .... thank heavens for insurance!!!

I ALWAYS RECOMMEND travel insurance to all my clients. Case in point: Early this past January I booked a client on the February 12th sailing of Celebrity’s Eclipse out of Miami. After much discussion with my client, he declined travel insurance. He paid for the cruise in full. Six days later, he called to tell me his brother (and business partner) had died in his sleep and he needed to cancel his cruise. He was in the 50% penalty window and was going to lose a lot of money. I recommended to him that he could still purchase a “cancel for any reason” policy and, if he did within 7 days of his original payment, he could cancel and not lose as much money. I bought the policy for my client and he ended up losing only $500 (after cost of policy premium) instead of the $1000 he would have lost without the insurance. A cancellation like this, in a case where the cruise was booked direct or online, would have resulted in him losing a lot more money than he did.