• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

cruise = weight gain

Rate this topic

Tamara

I read somewhere that it's not uncommon for people to gain a pound a day on a cruise. Do you find this to be true?

I don't use a scale, but did figure that I had gained a couple of pounds (glad I took the industrial strength control top pantyhose with me). I exercise a lot at home, so tried to keep that up on the cruise. The gym on the Volendam was wonderful and I used it one time, but the weather was so great that I wanted to be outside so walked around the Promenade deck between 5 - 10 miles a day. (3.5 times around = 1 mile)

I like to run, but it is not allowed on the Promenade deck. You can run on the 9th deck, but it is quite open and high up and I have a fear of heights, so wasn't able to manage that.

My in-laws bascially did that pound a day thing on their recent Summit cruise. We've never been that bad, but we usually gain a bit. One cruise, my wife got pneumonia on the second last day of 10 days, and came home having lost a few pounds. Not a good way to do that LOL

I thought i would gain weight on my cruise too... i mean all that 24 hour buffet and everything how can you not?! Luckily i didn't gain a pound, on the contrary, i lost somewheres around 5 pounds... :grin: it might be because i was able to go in the Teen Center and that all of the activities for me seemed to be on on end of the ship and the buffets were on the other end so either way you had to walk to get the food lol, but it'll be interesting to see if the same thing happens on my next cruise in March... :grin:

I used to gain 10 pounds on every cruise but don't gain any weight anymore. I do a lot of walking and I still exercise while on board. I'm also not as tempted by all the desserts anymore except for RCI's cookies which I love!

I rarely gain weight on a cruise -- although I am prone to weight gain in real life, lol. In fact, I often come back a pound or two lighter. While on board, I also walk 5-10 miles on the promenade deck, and I tend to eat in the dining room rather than the buffet (better for portion control). I also drink a lot more water on board than I do at home. And I take the stairs a lot.

Maybe I should live on a ship...

BridaBunny, is LCing low carbing? I'm into that at home, but didn't want to be too rigid on the cruise. I didn't load up on bread and pastries and potatoes, but did let loose on the desserts and the increasingly large glasses of wine in the piano bar. Those bartenders are very generous once they get to know you!

My DH gained ten pounds on our two-week honeymoon cruise, but he was ordering two of things like steak and lobster sometimes. He doesn't do that anymore!! If you watch how much you eat and take the stairs instead of the elevator, whenever possible, you don't have to gain anything. It is still hard, though, with all those great desserts! We rarely eat dessert at home!