• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tipping Poll

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

No problem. I've done that many times where somebody has brought back an old topic and I reply to somebody who posted a long time ago and no longer is around. Or even worse, when I reply to the topic and read back and see that I already replied 2 years ago LOL.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our last 7 cruises have had auto-tipping in place. I like it because none of the hard working crew will get stiffed out of well-deserved tips. We always bring extra cash along anyway to tip the water, assistant waiter and cabin stewards (not to mention the taxi drivers, tour operators, room service, luggage handlers, etc). It does seem like the cruiselines should just add it into the tips so it isn't such a rude shock to 1st time cruisers who don't read their documents or belong to cruise chat boards.

Oh boy one of my all time topics!!!!. I like to use this analogy: Do you go into your favourite restaurant at home or wherever, and hand your server money before being served the meals and drinks? No, I thought not. So why pay in advance on a cruise ship for service you haven't yet had? It is totally illogical to me. It's about time the cruise lines stopped this gouging. It has been proven many times that advanced or pre paid tipping does not ensure good service. Without exception on the 10 cruises I have taken I have had tipping removed from my account at the purser's desk during my first hours aboard. If I get good service in the dining room and my cabin the staff are hansomely compensated on the last night. No one has the right to tell me how much to tip a particular service. In their brochures under questions and answers there is usually the question"how much do I tip?" Are they thinking that 1st time cruisers are stupid never having been out to dinner or a bar or hotel therefore knowing nothing about tipping? The cruise lines should defer some of their profit to paying their employees a better hourly rate especially the behind the scenes staff.

Regards,

James.

Kinda depends on the line.

Just off our first Carnival cruise in years I would vote to hand them out the last night and skip the automatic thing. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, sure I'll go to the Pursers desk and take them up on the automatic. Norwegian, hard to say, which in my world means wait and tip on the last night. Princess, it's been a while but I remember the auto-tip as being a good fit with maybe some extra for the superstars. Cunard? last night for sure, just because "traditional" is the name of the game

All that said, if I had to pick one way to go it would be to do it on the last night to those who performed well during the voyage. Let them sweat it for a while and be motivated to dance for us. To me, pushing autotips down our throats is an insult and an insult even to firsrt-timers. It's their first time on a cruise, not their first time being served; give them some credit for cryin out loud. Even cheapskates can be impressed.

Better yet (Mr Cruise Line Owner) get your service act together and scream for awesome tips because your crew did such an awesome job and blew away every guest with fabulous service.

being a first time cruiser this auto tipping seems like a fairly good idea. still leaves me wondering if during the cruise we should be tipping anyone daily like the cabin steward, bartender, or waiter(s)....or do we wait till the end and put it in the envelopes? we really want to do the right thing but are unsure exactly what that is. i may have asked this all before but since we are leaving tomorrow i'm having a terrible time remembering. sorry for being such a goof.

thanks for all your help.

carla

If auto tipping is in place, the only ones I tip at the time service is rendered is for room service. Otherwise, we hand out extra on the last day. The bar bill has an automatic 15% gratuity included for every soda, beer or mixed drink.