• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tipping Poll

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

It seems more and more cruise lines are going to the auto tipping charged to your sign and sail card in lieu of handing out tips at the end of the cruise. What do you think? We auto tipped on our last cruise for the first time. It is very convenient, however, we wondered how the money was being distributed? Our next cruise on the Zaandam has auto tipping at $10 per day per person. Also, HAL is adding 15% tips to all drinks just like the rest of the cruise lines. Always in the past we would hand out tips to the bartenders and servers who gave us the best service on our last night aboard ship. We are happy for this change, but not so thrilled about the auto tipping.

We always enjoyed handing out the tip envelopes to our waiter, assistant waiter, and cabin steward.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time we sailed with Auto Tipping, I really had my mind made up that I would hate it. Well, I was wrong. I found it wonderfully convienent and it eliminated the hassle of getting the proper denominations in cash ready to stuff the envelopes.

In addition to the Auto Tipping, I still give cash to waiters and other who performed above and beyone IMHO.

So, at the end of the day, I am in favor of the automatic tipping. I think it will also help prevent the "stiffing" of the staff by some passengers. I used to look around on the last night and see who skipped the meal to avoid the tipping. Happened more often than you might think.

I have been told by several crew members that they auto tipping takes at least 2 weeks until they see the money, sometimes longer. That could be an inconvenience for some of the crew who have families counting on that money. Guess I'll adjust as it seems like everyone will be going that way soon but I'll always give the extra $$$ in cash.

Automatic tipping is one innovation that I really like.

I hate taking a lot of cash on a cruise....

alt text

....and prefer to use my charge cards.

alt text

I just find it safer and more convenient.

I have had only one occasion where I went to the purser's office and asked them to reduce a gratuity. However, on several occasions, I have given a waiter, busboy or cabin attendant a little extra.

I always hated having to carry as much as $300 and save it in a safe so I had the cash for tipping at the end of the cruise. I like the auto tipping and don't see any difference in service levels.

My guess is the reason they went to the auto tipping system in the first place is because the other way wasn't working out so well. A lot of people with good intentions may have found it hard not to spend all their cash on shopping, excursions, etc. I think my husband and I will love the auto tipping........one less thing we have to do ourselves.

Sandy